A few Sample Interview Killers

Sometimes the best way to learn  something is to see how  not to do it. Here are some  answers, so that   can analyze them for yourself:


 Typical Question
           
               Response
            
              Why It’s a Killer


“If the job is offered to you today, would you take it?” 


“Oh yes, thank you so much, I really need this job!”

Too desperate. People who are desperate sound suspicious to interviewers.


“I’m not sure, I might have t think it over and see what other offers may come my way.”

The response is rude and presumptuous; who do you think you are? You’re not being cautious; you’re telling the interviewer that you are not the right person for the job.



“Um, haha, uh, ano, eh…”

You sound like you’re delaying the interview or you can’t make up your mind. Nobody wants someone who can’t decide for themselves.


“Do you think you’re qualified for the job?”

“Of course. Just look at my resume and experience. I’ll be an asset to this company.”

Too cocky. You’re not God’s gift to the company.




“Um, I don’t know. Maybe? Uh, you be the judge of that.”




Can sound like either a) false modesty or b) the inability to express yourself properly, both of which count against you.

“Tell me about yourself.”

“My name is Juan de la Cruz, I’m 23 years old and I finished Computer Science at AMA.”

This is information contained in your resume. You need to create a good impression on the interviewer, so say something memorable which will prove you’re worth hiring.



“I love kittens and puppies I like to play basketball, I’m a fan of Brad Pitt, and I so love the color pink, which is why I’m wearing it today!”

The interviewer does not need to know everything about you, only what you have that will make you worthy of hiring.



“Why are you leaving your current job?”

“I’m stifled by the work environment- the aircon is too weak, my boss is stupid, and I am not doing important work.”

Why should they hire a whiner like you? Even if your previous boss was a jerk, don’t say so!




“I’m not sure.”

You need to give a good reason; otherwise they will think you’re just jumping around jobs for fun.  


“How do you see yourself five years from now?”

“In a year I’ll be the best writer n my department, then in three years I’ll be the editor of the section, then in five years I want to be the EIC of the magazine!”

Not only it is naive and presumptuous, it shows that you do not care for the dynamics of promotions and office relationships.




“Still with this company.”

“ It’s like declaring you have no ambitions and are content to be just “OK” when companies are looking for excellent people.”


“What do you consider your biggest weakness?”

“I’m shy.”

It sounds like you don’t want to answer the question and neither do you want to give an answer that makes you look bad.


---from the wire---

0 comments

Post a Comment